Tuesday, February 16, 2010

No microwaves!!!

There is a big problem at the City College cafeteria, MICROWAVES! Believe it or not, many students bring their lunch from home which is ten times healthier than any junk food that that is available in school or around the campus. Yes, there is healthy food at the salad bar and dinner section in the cafeteria but it is very expensive. So, what better than a meal cooked at home. Why only one microwave, if before there were three or two? Why a student has to wait half hour in line to heat up lunch? I usually bring lunch from home, but today was when I noticed that I am not the only one that does this. There are many us that have to wait in line for about 30 minutes to heat up their mail. Is it because the cafeteria realized that many students preferred bringing food from home, and not spend a ridiculous amount of money in the cafeteria? Is it decreasing their profits?Maybe they are thinking that if they only have one microwave available, then students sooner or later would be tired of waiting such a long time to eat, and would be left with no choice than to buy JUNK or EXPENSIVE food from the cafeteria. Whatever their motives are, students don’t have a lot of time to wait in line to heat up lunch. And a lunch from home is better than the fast food that we can get from the cafeteria or stores around campus. Therefore, I think it is necessary to do something to stop this madness… maybe something like a petition. Am I am the only that thinks this way? What do you guys think? Is this fair to us? Oh, and just in case microwaves do not increase the chances of a person developing cancer. I did some research to make sure. Maybe there is some new research that disproves this, but here are some links if you guys want to read more about appliances and cancer.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-cancer/cancer-questions/radiation-microwaves-and-cancer

http://dceg.cancer.gov/newsletter/News0999.pdf

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second on your petition......I spent exactly 28 minutes to get 2 minutes.....NOT FUN :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG.....I agree, I always feel like bringing my lunch yet never do because in the past, there's been times when I had to wait sooo long for an available microwave. There's like one or two working microwaves in the cafeteria.....ridiculous!! I'll definitely be signing that petition!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lmao..yes. i always bring home lunch to school when I have it. Last week, I waited around 45 mintues for that one microwave. It's annoying and it really does discourage the use of home-made food (unless it's cold food). I personally love bringing leftovers from the prior night's dinner but waiting long for one microwave is horrible. Last year, I think there were 3 or 4. Supposedly, they burned out... but perhaps as said..they were removed for business purposes. i'll sign it too. we can make copies of it perhaps and have our classmates distribute it throughout our campus. there is the microwave health debate i suppose, but i think it's just a matter of choosing the less of two evils. besides, there's no otherway we can heat up our food...on campus anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that rant. But it is true. We definitely need more microwaves. I remember when there were 3 microwaves. I know the school has the money to buy a $100 microwave. They carpeted the cafeteria, they replaced the cafeterias windows, they even bought more chairs and tables around the school.

    If you get around to starting that petition I'll sign and I'm sure the ppl on those long lines will also sign that petition.

    ReplyDelete